(NEXSTAR) — While investigators are still working to determine the motive in Wednesday’s deadly shooting at Annunciation Catholic church in Minneapolis, some of the victims have been publicly identified.
Armed with a rifle, shotgun, and pistol, the 23-year-old shooter fired dozens of rounds into the church as students and parishioners were gathered in the pews for Mass. The shooter then died by suicide, according to authorities.
The investigation remains ongoing.
Two children, 8 and 10, killed in shooting
Among those killed was 8-year-old Fletcher Merkel, his father, Jesse Merkel, confirmed Thursday.
“Yesterday, a coward decided to take our 8-year-old son Fletcher away from us,” Merkel told local media. “I hope that in time, our family can find healing. I pray that the other victim’s family can find some semblance of the same. I’m hopeful that all wounded are able to make a full recovery and return home to their families, and finally, all the people, and especially the children impacted by this horrific event, are able to recover mentally and find strength to live loving, happy and full lives.”
“Please remember Fletcher for the person he was, and not the act that ended his life,” his father added.
The other child was identified by her parents as 10-year-old Harper Moyski, who they described in a statement as a bright and joyful child.
“Our hearts are broken not only as parents, but also for Harper’s sister, who adored her big sister and is grieving an unimaginable loss,” said Michael Moyski and Jackie Flavin. “As a family, we are shattered, and words cannot capture the depth of our pain.”
They said they hope her memory helps drive leaders “to take meaningful steps to address gun violence and the mental health crisis in this country.”
18 people, including 15 children injured
Officials said Wednesday that 17 people, 14 children and three parishioners in their 80s, were wounded. In an update Thursday, Minneapolis officials said another child injured in the shooting had been identified, bringing the total to 18.
Earlier, Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said those who were injured were expected to survive. The condition of the most recently-announced victim is unknown.
Motive sought in shooter’s videos, writings after 2 children killed at Minneapolis church
The children who were killed have not been publicly identified, but police said they were sitting in the church pews.
Who are the victims of Wednesday’s shooting?
GoFundMe has verified multiple fundraisers for some of Wednesday’s victims.
That includes Sophia Forchas, a 12-year-old “who is now fighting for her life,” according to a GoFundMe. Forchas’ mother, a pediatric critical care nurse, rushed to the hospital to help with the influx of patients after the shooting “before knowing it was her children’s school that was attacked, and that her daughter was critically injured.”
Forchas, whose younger brother was also in the church but was unharmed, has undergone emergency surgery and faces a “long, uncertain, and incredibly difficult” road to recovery. The GoFundMe has raised more than $216,000, which will be used for hospital bills, counseling, family support, and lost wages, organizers wrote.
A verified GoFundMe has also been established for Endre, 13. The boy was “tragically shot twice” on Wednesday, his aunt wrote on the fundraiser webpage. Endre was rushed into surgery and is now recovering at the hospital.
“Our hearts are shattered — not only for him, but for everyone who was harmed,” Danielle Gunter, Endre’s mother, said in a statement to local media. “We grieve and we pray: for the others who were shot, for their families, and for those who lost loved ones.”
She added that a Minneapolis police officer “rendered aid, hugged [Endre], reassured him, and prayed with him before getting into the ambulance.”
Another boy, identified only as Victor, was struck by gunfire while shielding his friend, 10-year-old Weston Halsne. Halsne told The Associated Press that he ducked for the pews, covering his head, before his friend shielded him.
“I was super scared for him, but I think now he’s OK,” Halsne, a fifth grader, said.
A verified GoFundMe has also been established for a boy, identified only as Victor. The fundraiser, organized by the boy’s uncle, says, “Victor is one of the brave victims who survived the tragedy that unfolded.”
“His selfless acts help to save many, but he and his sister were injured in the process,” the fundraiser continues. Donated funds will go toward supporting Victor, his sister, and their parents.
During a Thursday press conference, Hennepin EMS Chief Martin Scheerer said that a child “covered up another kid and took a shotgun blast to his back.” It’s unclear if that boy is the same one who protected Halsne.
A woman is allowed to drop off flowers at the Annunciation Catholic School sign near the scene of a shooting at Annunciation Catholic Church, Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2025, in Minneapolis. (Renée Jones Schneider/Star Tribune via AP)
Members of a Lutheran church charities comfort dog ministry sit and stand in front of the Annunciation Catholic Church after Wednesday’s school shooting, Thursday, Aug. 28, 2025, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Abbie Parr)
Flowers are left by a memorial at Annunciation Catholic Church after Wednesday’s school shooting, Thursday, Aug. 28, 2025, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Abbie Parr)
Ruth, right, and Sage place flowers at a memorial at Annunciation Catholic Church after Wednesday’s school shooting, Thursday, Aug. 28, 2025, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Abbie Parr)
A parent hugs her son during an active shooter situation at the Annunciation Church in Minneapolis, Minn., Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2025. (Richard Tsong-Taatarii/Star Tribune via AP)
Students and parents await news during a mass shooting at the Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2025. (Richard Tsong-Taatarii/Star Tribune via AP)
People gather at a vigil at Lynnhurst Park after a shooting at the Annunciation Catholic School, Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2025, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Bruce Kluckhohn)
A child who has not been publicly identified is in critical condition and was described as being “touch and go” by Dr. Thomas Klemond, the interim CEO of Hennepin Healthcare Clinic and Specialty Center. No additional details were provided.
In a statement obtained by CNN, Children’s Minnesota Hospital in Minneapolis said it had treated and discharged four patients since the shooting. Three more children were still receiving care as of Thursday morning.
Stories of the “unrecognized heroes” have also started to pour out Thursday. A nurse — who “didn’t have anything to do with what we would normally respond to,” according to trauma surgeon Jon Gayken — noticed a child who was “very scared and alone” and went into the CT scanner with them.
“[She put] herself basically in harm’s way of radiation” and held the girl’s hand as she went through the scanner “so she didn’t have to go through it alone,” Gayken said.
The City of Minneapolis says the Minneapolis Foundation has established a text-to-donate line to “equitably distribute the funds to those affected” by Wednesday’s shooting. To donate, you can text ACF1 to 41444.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.